Sunday, April 24, 2011

How to do it

Once you collect and organize all your coupons, you will need to keep an eye on store flyers. Start with the ones that you go to most often. You can also look at the flyers on-line. Some online flyers will allow you to click on each item you wish to purchase. This list can be printed or e-mailed.

I try to only purchase items that are already on sale, combined with a coupon. Sales can range from pennies off, to dollars off. I really try to avoid the sales that are pennies off. I know that eventually they will become dollars off. The "penny" sales are the stores incentive to try to up sell...they really are not great "deals".

Great sales to combine coupons with are:
  • ie; 2/$5 tags, you can use two coupons on these cause you are buying two products
  • Dollars Off
  • Sobeys & Overwaitea in Golden have "Dollar Days" flyer sales. In general, these items are all on sale for about 50% off already...adding a coupon to these sales can make some things up to 75% off regular price or FREE
Shopping in our small little town of Golden, I have been getting amazing deals on everyday items. Here are just a few:
  • I pay no more than $3 for Laundry products (Tide, Sunlight, Snuggle)
  • Cereal costs me no more than $2 a box (Cheerios, Fiber 1, Raisin Bran, Mini Wheat's, Corn Flakes)
  • Deodorant I can usually get for $0.50 each (Dove, Degree, Old Spice)
  • Toothpaste I purchase for $1 or less, and a lot of the time it is free. It is common to see coupons for $1 off, and it is common for toothpaste to go on sale for $1 each!
  • Ziplock baggies have been free so far. I bought these on sale at $2 each, and had "buy 2 Ziplock products, and get $4 off" coupons
  • Body Wash & Shampoo - $0.50-$1.50 is what I can typically spend on these products. There will often be sales such as "2/$5", and coupons can be for as much as $3-$5 off multiples. I get deals on the large sizes more often than not.

When I started couponing, I really had to keep it in my head NOT to buy items that I don't use even if I had a coupon & it was on sale. This is what can make you go broke.  However! I WILL buy items that I don't use or need if they end up to be FREE! This is a great way to make donations to local food banks with out it coming out of your pocket.


Stockpiling:


When an item is on sale for an awesome price, I will buy as much as I can with my coupons. Sometimes up to a years worth of product as long as it won't expire before I get the chance to use it. Toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo etc are all good items to do this with. Toilet paper is a good one as well, with the exception of how much space it takes up. If you have the space I would say go for it! Otherwise, select a space that you can allow to be filled, and only purchase that much.


Keeping my "stockpile" organized, and tidy is very important to me. Almost as much as finding deals in the first place. Every time I buy something I will grab a permanent marker and mark on the item exactly what that product cost me. This allows me to visually see how much I paid & what I am capable of paying. I will always try to beat my last price.


I do an inventory of my stockpile at the end of every month. With this, I will be able to see how much product I go through, and be able to estimate how much we consume/use on an annual basis. This will let me make "yearly" shopping lists more accurate.

Once my Yearly shopping lists are complete, I need to make sure I rotate the stock,  maintain their stock levels (only shop for those items when stock is getting depleted).

Once all of my yearly products are purchased, my grocery expenses will be less and less.  I will also not be having the 50% or so savings on my bills because I will be mostly buying fresh products that expire quickly,
since usually coupons are not usually offered for fresh food.

Wow! didn't think I would be blogging this much, lol...still, more to come!

2 comments:

stephyloo said...

Just to kinda add to it all, something I just found out the other day is London Drugs stacks coupons like they do in the states. Someone I know used 2 $12 off coupons and got their baby formula for $4. The cashier said they've been doing it 30+ years but nor many people know ther do it!!!

Unknown said...

YES!!! This one is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!! I am just writing my next blog on "coupon Stacking". It will be up today. It will be a must read for those of you whom have access to a London Drugs!! This store is VERY VERY Important!!! lol :0)